The Lead Windows Systems Administrator ...
Provides organizational and team leadership:
Keeps the team on track:
Provides help and guidance:
Examples of Projects and Daily Tasks:
What You'll Bring to the Job
- Previous leadership/supervisory experience
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of clients and staff
- Demonstrated success with administrative and organizational skills
- Ability to manage and supervise teams and projects
- Experience prioritizing tasks and delegating responsibility
- Extensive experience working with Windows
- Ability and motivation to learn new technologies quickly and with minimal support and guidance
- Good problem solver
- Minimum GPA of 2.0
- Experience with at least one version of UNIX/Linux and at least one version of Mac OS
- Proficiency with Windows Server, Windows 7 and 8, and Mac OS operating systems
- Understanding of Active Directory and Group Policy
- Understanding of the administration of SQL database servers such as Microsoft SQL Server, and secure web services such as IIS
- Knowledge of one or more scripting languages, such as VBScript and PowerShell
- Knowledge of standard backup infrastructures, Windows registry, Windows system and program installation, and system-level security procedures
- Talent for diagnosing and remedying server-related problems and failures promptly and effectively
- Familiarity with cryptography tools (e.g. SSH, SSL, IPsec)
- Experience maintaining servers for standard internet services such as file sharing, printer sharing, web services, and Terminal Services
- Experience maintaining a VMware environment
- Previous experience teaching or training others
- GPA of 2.3
What You'll Learn on the Job
- Proficiency with Windows Server and VMware environment
- Hands-on supervisory and leadership skills
- Project coordination skills and methods
- PowerShell and Bash scripting
- Understanding of Active Directy and Group Policy
- Understanding of SQL database servers
Availability & Training Requirements
- The period of employment for this position begins upon hire and continues at least through the end of 2017-2018 academic year.
- Must be a currently enrolled UC Berkeley student.
- Must be available for 2-5 hours per week of training during the spring 2017 semester, including sessions on:
- February 17
- April 7
- April 14
- 2 days during the week of May 15 (dates/times TBD)
- Must be available to work 20-40 hours per week during the summer.
- Must be available to work 10-15 hours per week during the academic year.
- Must participate in Residential Computing Consultant (RCC) training during week of August 7, 2017.
- Required to attend all-staff training on August 18, 2017.
- Must clear a criminal background check due to the level of data access and access to systems and physical spaces required by the position.
- Continued employment is contingent upon satisfactory job performance evaluation by the Windows Systems Team supervisor.
What to Expect
Lead Windows Systems Administrator candidates will meet with a small panel made up of current WinSys staff, the team supervisor, and possibly a member of another team that regularly works with WinSys to discuss how their skills and experience are a fit for the job. The interview will last about one hour, and will include some general questions as well as some that are specific to their technical skills and leadership abilities or background. They will also be asked to bring a BearFacts transcript to verify they meet the minimum GPA requirement.
Sample Interview Questions
- What do you hope to accomplish as Lead Windows Systems Administrator?
- Supervising fellow students can be tough due to other commitments outside of work (academic, extra-curricular, sports). How would you keep each member of the team involved and motivated throughout the semester?
- How do you stay current with new technologies and systems? What resources do you turn to for research?
- Questions on Windows commands, features, and products/technologies relevant to Windows servers.
This job is currently not open for hiring
Have a question? Email us at email@example.com.